Sunday, August 22, 2010

How long should you wait after the death of a spouse to remarry?

I have a friend who lost his wife in a car accident in February of 2006. Sadley, they were still newly weds, only married for 6 weeks. About a year after the death of his wife, he started dating a long time friend (somone he had known for 10 years), and this Saturday they are getting married. That's only a year and a half after the death of his first wife, but he is very happy.





Do you think he should wait longer? Or do you think if he is happy that's all that matters. Some of his ex-inlaws have mixed emotions. They are happy, but it has been less than two years. What do you think?How long should you wait after the death of a spouse to remarry?
If he's HAPPY and its not effecting YOUR life any, then why should YOU (or anyone else) care?





Just be happy that the poor man was able to find love twice in his lifetime...some people aren't lucky enough to even find it ONCE.How long should you wait after the death of a spouse to remarry?
I think one year is long enough to wait.... and in this case they were only married for six weeks, more like a fiancee dying than a spouse
who has the right to become a judge here ? whats right and whats wrong really dont matter in this situation, what matters is that there is love and enough of it obviously
I don't see anything wrong with it. Of course they have mixed emotions....They have to remember their daughter...if she hadn't of died he wouldn't be getting married now would he?


Just because he is getting remarried doesn't mean that he has gotten over her or even finished greiving for her...he may never. It just means that he's found someone to spend his life with and that isn't something you can put on hold forever.
I would wait for 2 years, er I mean minutes
If you were to put a time period on it, probably a year would


suffice. Personally, think that's a widow(er) decision that


we should MYOB with. After all, it IS a matter of grief/closure


that's the determinate.





Congratulations to the happy couple !
Only that person knows when they are ready....its not up to ANYONE else to make that decision.
The bible says: '; In death do we part';. It states that when a


spouse is past away the other is free to remarry. I truly feel


that if he is happy then, that is what counts...NOT the opinions of others.
Should he have waited? Absolutely NOT!!!!! Love is too wonderful, and being with someone lovely is toooo nice to give only once, or twice. Life is a one shot deal, you get no ';overs';. Grab for the gusto, and his deceased wife would agree. If I died tomorrow, I would hope mine would find a lovely lady very soon.
I really think it's different for everyone. I, personally, would never remarry (especially seeing as my husband would more then likely die in combat). But to each their own... I just hope he has given himself enough time to heal, otherwise it could cause problems in his new marriage.
There is no set time frame; it depends only upon the individual in question.





If they are happy, then wish them well.
I think he is doing what it right for him and who are we to judge. I have told my husband if I die I don't want him to date for one year. I think that is showing respect to me and our son. After that I hope he finds someone who makes him happy and accepts our child!
It is different for every individual. There is no set time limit. If he is lucking enough to have found love again, then congratulations to him. May they live happily ever after.
only he knows what is in his heart.... there is no reason why anyone should judge his actions.





he probably adored and loved his wife.. but there is nothing he can do. she past away and life has to go on... he probably felt comfort and peace with his friend and developed into love.





it doesn't mean that he loved his wife any less... grieving is something you wear on the inside not on the outside... he has probably had more sleepless nights than anyone knows.





be a good friend and support his decision. it doesn't seem wrong or insensitive.
When it comes to this stuff, I just don't think about it. Life is for the living....he is still alive....he is entitled to be happy and i am personally glad he is.
If it'd had been 60 years, then maybe...





but after 6 weeks of marriage, I'm sure he loved her, may she rest in peace, but his heart was ready...and we can't fault him for that
Let me tell you something it depends on whether him and his first wife ever discussed this before her death. In my own words because someone has lost a love one does not mean that he should not be happy and if he is able t o find happiness . i know i wouldnt want my husband to sit around and morn me if i were married. I would want him to be happy theres know time set for someone to date or even marry he is lonely. Best of luck
I think he has enough people giving their opinions about HIS life.
I think time heals sooner for some people than others, that doesn't make it wrong. I think his wife would have wanted him to be happy and go one with his life all the while keeping her memory in his heart forever. Good for him.
I think that if he was able to find happiness again he should do what he needs to do.





I was widowed after a 1.5 years of marriage. Add to that the 1.5 years we spent together before marriage, and we spent only 3 years together.. I started dating about 6 months after he'd passed away, and not long after that moved in with my new b/f. The reality is that you grieve for your deceased spouse - of course you grieve - but when you haven't had the opportunity to build a lifetime of memories with the person, you can only hold onto your pain for so long..





This man grieved for a year.. Now he's moving on. This is good.
It doesn't matter what I think. Its none of my business. Nor is it yours.
After a tragedy, you should wait until you're lucky enough to find love again. Makes no difference how long or short that time is.
Let your friend do what he wants, it's ok he's a big boy.
there is no time limit on this.its how your heart feels when you meet someone.if the sparks are there and it grows to love it makes no diffence how long its been since the death.we only live once on this earth and too much time wasted could mean you lose out on something special.i say go for it and be happy while you can.my husband has been dead for 2 years and i'm waiting to find happiness again.
The priority in situations like this is to have closure and to find happiness.If your friend is happy with this situation than everyone should support his decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment