Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Can you get your deceased spouse's social security benefit if you're over 60?

My aunt is 63, and her husabnd (my uncle) passed away 8 years ago. Aunt has not remarried and is remaining single. If My uncles was alive he would be between 65 and 70.





In this case, is my aunt eligible to receive her husband's social security benefit payment? My aunt is a US citizen and so was her husband.Can you get your deceased spouse's social security benefit if you're over 60?
A widow is eligible for benefits from their deceased husband at age 60.Can you get your deceased spouse's social security benefit if you're over 60?
Yes. As the unremarried widow of her husband she can get Social Security spousal payments, and I believe she is eligible at 62, though you should definitely check with SSA to see if she can claim it earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment